Ross-on-Wye Civic Society

next Ross Races Speaker Gregory and his local legacy previous

ROSS RAILWAY STATION LIVES ON - IN KIDDERMINSTER

Ross-on-Wye & District Civic Society newsletter Autumn 2005 (number 87)

Kidderminster Station plaque

The Severn Valley Railway started operations in 1970, following the closure by British Railways of the lines along the valley. In 1984 the line from Bridgnorth was extended south to Kidderminster and a new terminus was built on the site of a former B.R. goods yard. The operators of the railway decided to erect a station based on the former station at Ross, as described on a plaque on the building.

The photographs below of the Kidderminster station today and the old Ross station (taken from the display - now rather faded - under the old railway arches at Fiveways) show that the design was followed quite closely.

Ross Station
Ross station in the early 1900s

Kidderminster Station
Kidderminster Severn Valley Railway station today

The Ross station building of 1890 was comparatively late in the town's railway history, its first rail connection dating from 1855. Its rather splendid appearance, like a miniature French chateau, shows what a great loss to the town its demolition was (quite apart from the loss of our rail link and the tourist attraction of a Wye Valley line that would knock spots off its Severn Valley rival!)



next Ross Races Speaker Gregory and his local legacy previous





[ Page views: 4748 ]